Thursday 26 March 2015

Berlin: Music

Art on the Berlin wall from the Spree side gallery.

I had not realised before I went to Berlin that where the good music is, the young people follow. I had expected milongas with good music to attract people of all ages who like good trad music.  I found at Roter Salon and Villa Kreuzberg that many of the dancers over say 40, danced a broader spectrum of tango music.

I most enjoyed the music from Ismael (Alma in Tango Loft on Tuesday) Raimund (Café Dominguez), Francesco (Nou on Friday) and Leandro (Max and Moritz). I also liked a lot of Francesco & Gaia's music at Loca in Tango Loft on Thursday).  I learnt much and enjoyed novel experiences listening and dancing to Michael Rühl's music on two occasions. Several people told me Felix Hahme plays good trad for an older crowd and so despite my abortive experience at Villa Kreuzberg I would try it again. 

The trad music played for the younger crowd while it has many, mostly classic tracks, can be hard edged (in feel) with drive and high energy - d'Arienzo, Tanturi, Biagi, some Troilo, some Caló. This is great dance music but can feel relentless if not softened by other aspects of those same orchestras or by different orchestras. The music can also be quite dramatic and extravagant (Di Sarli, Pugliese, De Angelis,  Varela and perhaps others I did not know) especially when it is from the 50s. This is what seems to be reckoned good for dancing among the younger set in Berlin. That said, the choices were often excellent. I heard tanda after tanda of great classics in some of the younger milongas and enjoyed it, softened sometimes by mid-era Di Sarli, Rodriguez or D'Agostino and once by an excellent deep Laurenz tanda at Nou (DJ Francesco) as the penultimate one.

Fresedo, Lomuto, OTV, Canaro, the softer Caló, is not necessarily music you will hear often in Berlin.  I heard some softer music at Café Dominguez.  Elsewhere I asked one of the younger DJs if they played Fresedo as I did not remember hearing any, although I often arrived late.  The answer was yes, but that Fresedo was not such an interesting orchestra. These orchestras are rated "low energy", a term I heard more than once, and consequently not good, perhaps even embarrassing.   The same DJ said they did play those orchestras but only early on (when is pretty much before people arrive).  I think this is a mistake. Good tango music for good dancing need not always be high energy.  Many people enjoy a mix, a broad spectrum. But if the scene values very visually elegant, smooth, dancing suggesting a restrained power and a deliberate style, which among the younger crowd is understandably often the case, then it is not surprising when that is the kind of music that will be rated.

3 comments:

  1. hi felicity,
    please next time come in personal to VILLA KREUZBERG and hear that Felix Hahme not only play "...good trad for an older crowd...". abrazo felix

    ReplyDelete
  2. A musicalizador's main goal is entertaining people. I think we can all agree on that. Everyone has his/her own profile, of course. But it's not really about playing what one likes; it's about making most, if not all, of the people dance. I personally put on music in a bunch of milongas in Berlin (since we are talking about Berlin) and some of them, although 'traditional' (where one can find just classic tangos), have very different crowds that need different sets. And even in the same milonga experience may differ according to the night. In the end a musicalizador should be as perceptive as possible and put on what he/she thinks people need in that very moment. This when I'm on the job :) As a dancer, I could personally fall asleep if, late in the night, the musicalizador puts on too much OTV, Fresedo, Canaro and Lomuto, since you wrote about them. I also like them, given the 'right' circumstances. To give another example, I wouldn't like to dance a Pugliese '50 tanda at 20:00, even though I love Pugliese. But that's a matter of taste, a totally different subject. By the way, for me "high energy" does not have necessarily anything to do with being upbeat and/or dramatic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "By the way, for me "high energy" does not have necessarily anything to do with being upbeat and/or dramatic"
    Hi Francesco! Good point & I agree. I agree too with your points about what to play when & how much & that different crowds need different sets.

    ReplyDelete